03 February 2012

Madonna Dedicating Super Bowl Performance to Dad in Michigan

First appeared in Detroit Free Press
Kindly pardon Madonna -- she's nervous.

The Material Mom took to the podium at a Thursday news conference to talk about her halftime show for Sunday's Super Bowl XLVI and said that she's freaking out a bit about performing for such a large audience, with the broadcast expected to draw more than 100 million viewers in the U.S.

"I am so excited to be here and kind of nervous. This is a Midwestern girl's dream," she said.

"So if I speak fast or run out of breath, you'll know why. I have to say over 25 years of performing that I've done, I have never worked so hard or been so scrupulous or detail-oriented or freaked out as much as I have. ... I want to make the most amazing show for the Super Bowl."

The former suburban Detroiter talked up her Midwestern roots a great deal and said she will dedicate the performance to her father, Silvio Anthony Ciccone, who is a winemaker in Suttons Bay.

"Because I was raised in the Midwest, and he is the personification of Midwestern values," she said. "He gave me the work ethic that I have. If I'm a hard-working girl, that never stops. It's because of him. Of all the things that I've ever done in my life, this would be the thing he's most excited about."

Madonna's show is being put together by her longtime collaborator Jamie King and the Cirque du Soleil. She kept mum on what she would be performing -- except to say that she would be doing three vintage Madonna tunes and a new one, likely "Give Me All Your Love," which drops on iTunes today.

"We started rehearsing in December, then we took a Christmas break, and we've been rehearsing again for three weeks," she said. "I have to keep pinching myself. I can't believe that I'm here."

No comments: